Overview of the HCPL Foundation
In 2000 the HCPL Foundation was launched to cultivate support and raise funds to enhance current library programs and support new initiatives. Our Foundation is a viable example of a public - private partnership in action. Harford County residents have a well respected, innovative library system that is responsive to community needs.
The HCPL Foundation’s Board of Directors represents a cross section of the community and shares a commitment to improving our community.
Together we can combine both public and private resources to build a premiere library system recognized for delivering innovative services.
Donor Designated Funds
The HCPL Foundation will continue to provide opportunities for individuals and businesses to contribute to specific campaigns. To that end, we have established funds for each of our 11 branches to allow donors to designate their dollars to their local branch.
You can designate your gift in two ways
- Memorials & Tributes: Individuals may elect to give a monetary gift to the HCPL Foundation for the purchase of books at their local branch. Funds will be given to the Materials Management Department to select appropriate titles. Donors will be acknowledged in a bookplate inside the book. What a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or graduation this year!
Memorials & Tributes Donation Form (pdf)
- Unrestricted Gifts: Individuals and businesses may elect to give a monetary gift to the HCPL Foundation without restriction for use at their local branch. This allows the Foundation, working with the Branch Manager, to identify an appropriate use of the funds.
HCPL Foundation is an essential component of the library’s strategic plan: Libraries Without Limits.
There are wonderful opportunities to contribute to our annual initiatives, which are outlined under Giving Opportunities. Those initiatives include the Summer Reading Program, Winter Reading Program, Silver Reader and our annual Gala event.
The Harford County Public Library Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization, and all gifts to the organization are fully tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Information under the Maryland Charitable Organizations law can be obtained from the Secretary of State at (410) 974-5534. Gifts can be made to the HCPL Foundation in a variety of formats.
- Monetary gifts may be made through check, cash or credit card. Credit card payments (Visa, Mastercard and American Express) may be placed through a secure server via our website.
- Gifts of stock may be transferred to the HCPL Foundation. Stock gifts will be sold within 24 hours and the gift will reflect the amount of the sale. All stock transfers and sales are handled through a partnership with Legg Mason. Please contact our office for details.
- In-kind services may also be donated to the HCPL Foundation. Typically these donations are event-related and may include food service, music performances, design, print and advertising services. Please contact our office for details, 410-273-5600 x2283.
All donations to the HCPL Foundation are fully tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law. We acknowledge all monetary, stock and inkind gifts in writing to the donor within 30 days of receipt of the gift.
Donations made in connection with an event, including ticket sales, auction purchases and donated services, are also tax-deductible within the appropriate guidelines. Acknowledgement letters for these gifts will be issued within 60 days of the event.
The HCPL Foundation includes the names of all donors in its annual report, on the Foundation page of the HCPL website, and in all reporting required to the State of Maryland.
Sponsorships made through a specific campaign may also be recognized in press releases, print advertising and promotional materials.
For details and additional information please Call 410-273-5600.