Communities Thrive @ Your Library
How much value does the library provide you?
Articles of Interest
The County Council has scheduled two public hearings on the FY 15 Budget for 6:00 p.m. on May 1, 2014 (North Harford High School) and May 8, 2014 (Fallston High School). Please attend and show your support of the library. Here's what you can do to help.
- Beginning at 5:30, sign up to speak on behalf of the library
- Thank the County Council for their support of the design funding for the Havre de Grace Library and to approve capital funding for the construction of the new Havre de Grace Library.
- Or share your story - tell how the library’s essential, critical services and resources have helped you, your family and your community
- Not comfortable speaking publicly? You can still help
- Come to the hearing and wear a “Communities Thrive @ Your Library Sticker” which will be handed out before the hearing. Show our representatives how many people support library funding
- Volunteer to give out stickers before the hearing - it’d be great if we could have teen or adult volunteers handing out the stickers. It makes a much stronger impact if library users and customers do this, instead of staff. Contact me if you’re interested in passing out stickers before the hearing.
- Spread the word - tell your Friends members, library customers, family and neighbors to support the library at the hearing
As always, we appreciate your continued help and support of Harford County Public Library.
FY 2013 Estimated Value of HCPL Service
|Quantity||Library Services||Retail Value||Value of Services|
|1,018,442||Adult Books Borrowed||$20.00||$20,368,840|
|997,601||Children’s Books Borrowed||$20.00||$19,952,020|
|154,977||Audio Material Borrowed||$15.00||$2,324,655|
|152,372||Electronic Books Borrowed||$20.00||$3,047,440|
|885||Little Leaper Kits Borrowed||$189.00||$167,265|
|335||Meeting Room Use||$100.00||$33,500|
|52,301||Adult Program Attendees||$16.00||$836,816|
|144,910||Kid’s/Teen Program Attendees||$15.78||$2,286,680|
|416,473||Hours of Computer Use||$12.60||$5,247,560|
|515,534||Customer Queries Answered||$7.00||$3,608,738|
Interactive Library Use Value Calculator
What is your library worth to you? How much would you pay out-of-pocket for your library services?
- Enter the average number of times per month you or your family use each service.
- Click "Calculate" to find the estimated retail value of your library use!
Note: The values used above are based on the estimated retail value of the materials or services, with research from the Maine and Massachusetts State Libraries and HCPL staff.
MLA Capwiz Legislative Action Center
Some Harford County Public Library Facts (FY12)
- Harford County Public Library offers customers an array of free resources including books, eBooks, audiobooks, DVDs, CDs, computer use, author presentations and programs for all ages
- People searching for jobs are using the Library to complete job applications, fax resumes, submit applications online, create email accounts, search health information and get tax information assistance and forms
- 1,892426 customers walked through our doors
- 10,536,127 people made virtual visits to the library and used our website
- 4,110,684 items were borrowed from the library
- 197,211 babies through adults attended library programs
- 515,534 questions were answered by Librarians
- 31,086 volunteer hours were donated to support the efforts of the Library