Partners in Reading
Partners in Reading is a volunteer opportunity that can truly impact a child’s life; open and expand the world of reading for them.
- Develop a relationship with elementary age students as you met on a weekly basis and read selected books together.
- Commit to one hour of volunteer service each week during the school year.
- No prior teaching experience is needed, training is provided.
- Volunteers must be 18 or older and provide their own transportation to the school.
What are they saying about Partners in Reading?
- My partner helped me learn how to read and I’m happy.
- I didn’t like to read before, but now I do.
- I thought it was impossible to read, but my partner showed me how to succeed.
- The Partners in Reading volunteer was an excellent role model and gave the student a definite boost in self-esteem.
- This program has made a positive impact on the children’s love of literature and the children truly look forward to reading with the volunteers.
- Our teachers have glowing comments regarding the Partners in Reading program and its impact on reading achievement.
- It was very satisfying to see the progress the children made throughout the school year.
- I’m certain that I gained as much as the students!
- The children were delightful and were eager to work with me.
If you want to volunteer, please call Partners in Reading coordinator Stephanie Cosgrove at 410-273-5600 x2301 or the Volunteer Specialist at 410-273-5600 x2247. New volunteers will be trained each September for the coming academic year. This information is available in an alternative format upon request.