Click here to schedule your appointment.
Overdrive Maintenance: Between 5/3/22-7/28/22, on Tuesdays and Thursdays 6am-8am EST, there will be server maintenance for Overdrive services. Customers may encounter errors during these times when attempting to borrow items, place holds, or return items.
Whiteford Branch History
Library service to the Whiteford area has been available since 1948 via a bookmobile. In 1980 Harford County Public Library opened the 15 hour Whiteford Reading Center in a 729 square foot modular unit. This modular served many in the rural farming community. The Whiteford Reading Center was closed in June of 1990 and the library was temporarily relocated to the Highland Commons building to make way for construction of a full-service facility on the same property.
In June of 1992, the Whiteford Branch opened to the public as a 7,300 square foot full-service branch. The area continued to grow steadily over the years and a need for a larger building to serve this population became apparent. To raise funds, the Library Foundation implemented a campaign with the support of the North Harford Friends of the Library and many local businesses. The campaign raised $69,000 that was used towards the renovation of the Whiteford Branch and in January 2010 the newly expanded, 13,278 square foot building was reopened to delighted customers.
The current building doubled in size from the original 1992 full-service building. Highlights of the expansion include a teen room, interactive children’s puppet and play area, a quiet study room, self-checkout stations, 24 public access computers, Wi-Fi, and a meeting room which has the capacity to seat 96. Adjacent to the library is a Harford County Parks and Recreation playground “tot lot” which is frequented by preschoolers and their families after the weekly story times. The Whiteford Branch supports active children’s, teen and adult programming.
Photos from our Renovation
Branch Square Footage: 13,280