Schooner Cove Parent Tips
Discover the Little Lagoon
- Cuddle up with a board book, sing a simple rhyme and play in the lagoon.
- Crawl, stand or cruise with your baby over to the picnic table and around the rocks.
- Peer inside the light and sound boxes and talk to your baby about what you see and hear.
Go Fishing in the Pond
- Write, draw or scribble a petroglyph message.
- Catch and match fish with the oversized fishing game. Practice more math by counting, adding, sorting, and finding patterns.
Explore the Ranger Station
- Sort by color, size and type at the Curiosity Crate.
- Venture beneath the Ranger Station, find the Fox Den, send a secret message through the talking tube, and discover the hidden treasure.
- Sing “Down By the Bay” and make up silly rhymes.
Get Moving in the Shipping Yard
- Measure, pack, and move freight into ships using the cranes.
- Construct with gizmos and gears and take an up close look at the inner workings of machines.
Set Sail on the Schooner
- Climb aboard the Schooner and take your turn at the captain’s wheel. Keep your eye out for treasure!
- Investigate the bowels of the ship and create a colorful pattern on the light board.
- Relax in the reading net and read books together.
Use Your Imagination at the Beach
- Read, listen to, and retell features stories using props and imagination.
Generate Wow at Schooner Cove Power Station
- Play with word parts in the Schooner Cove Power sign by lighting it up. Talk about the letters, syllables, and words in the sign.
- Create a fish run around the dam. Stimulate creative thinking by adding obstacles, like limiting the number of pieces or including drops.
Illuminate Yourself at the Lighthouse
- Navigate the touch screens on the Lighthouse, featuring new apps each month.
Go to the Early Literacy page for more tips and information.